Harper/Wolley 2002
Harper and Wolley discuss the need for getting African American males more involved in leadership positions. There may be a negative stigma associated with leadership positions. The authors argue that these males seek activities that will portray them as masculine or appealing to females. Although I feel this train of thought is kind of simplistic and promotes traditional views of sexuality, it seems to make sense for a large majority of African American males that I have personally encountered.
In order to get African American students involved, there must already be some African American leaders to help recruit other students. This may be more difficult on campuses that don't even have that. This could be attained with an influential (preferrably young) African American staff member. The authors also stress interaction among departments to target these African American male students.
The authors did not address the potential problem that African American men just might not be interested in leadership positions. I doubt this is true, but they should have said something to refute this assumption by some people.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home